YouTube Live Stream

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Destiny House of Wolves is it enough change to make me comeback for more? (Opinion)



So Bungie is set to release The House of Wolves expansion to Destiny on May 19th, I for one was a big fan of Destiny right from the very beginning I played the Alpha , the Beta, and Picked up the limited edition of the game, in fact I even pre-ordered. Sadly I got really tired with Destiny and didn't bother getting back into it with the previous expansion. I really loved the gameplay, but ultimately I need more to keep me coming back. 

With the Release of House Of Wolves, Destiny looks to be getting a number of changes that with all honestly sound great, and have me actually thinking about diving back in to the grind.  Now bare in mind this article isn't meant to be for the die hard Destiny players. I'm writing this for the people like myself who have stopped playing the game. So what exactly sparked the interest to go back well first off let me list all the new content coming into this update and I will pick out what matters to me, the non competitive Destiny player. 



 new content in the House of Wolves are as follows:

New Gear/Armor/and weapons: Normally I wouldn't care about these types of add-on content but with Destiny as we all know it is important to find/upgrade your gear in order to level up, and that's exactly what you get with the new update, however what I am most interested in is the ability to finally just fully level up your existing gear. Like most loot based games you will eventually find a specific weapon that you love and want to hold on to, well before this update Destiny was basically giving you the digital middle finger. This will no longer be a worry of so many players. This should have been implemented from the very beginning but at least it will be happening. 

New Story Missions: For many people Destiny is a great shooter that shipped with one of the most underwhelming story modes seen in a big budget triple "A" game. I know I was very let down with the end of the story that came on the disc, so it is good to see Bungie flesh out the story and give us a reason to care about what we are doing. Sadly little is known about the new story content so let's hope for the best. 

New Multiplayer maps: As common with most First-Person shooters, it is expected that you get 3 new multiplayer maps,4 if you are on PlayStation. I for one actually really enjoyed the Crucible and spent the most of my time in this mode once I was done with the story. It is nice to see more variety in the game. On top of that the Bungie will also add in the new game mode elimination.

A new competitive mode Trials of Osiris: Now this was clearly made with hardcore Destiny players in mind, it sets you up with a 3v3 teams in an elimination style match where your level and gear play a big factor on your success, you play rounds vs other teams the more you win the better gear you unlock. I like what they have done here, but I personally will just stick to the standard elimination. 

Prison of the Elders Challenge Arena mode: another game mode targeted towards the hardcore Destiny players but instead of a PVP focus, you and your team will take on waves of challenging enemies, think of this like a hoard mode, a nice touch, which I may check out, but a feature that the game could have benefited from right at the start. 

Lastly One new Strike The Shadow Thief set on the moon. I just wish it was set somewhere else. At least you have a new strike to grind over and over...

A new social space in the game called Vestian Outpost, it will be interesting to see what this offers other then a change of scenery and access to the new story content. 

So here is the break down of the new content and what my thoughts our on each new feature 

Now that is a lot! Will this be enough to get everyone back into the game? Truthfully probably not, especially with some really big titles on the way like the Witcher 3, but it seems like Bungie is finally understanding what gamers want out of Destiny and this expansion is set to provide a much need change to the game. Hopefully Destiny receives more expansions that will flesh out the story in new meaningful ways. 

That's all for now, as always you can follow me on twitter @retro_forward 
Happy Gaming
-Retro Forward Dave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts