YouTube Live Stream

Monday, February 2, 2015

Life is Strange Demo Impressions

Full Demo gameplay

Life is Strange is an episodic adventure game by Dontnod Entertainment.
I wasn't to sure what to expect going into this demo, I haven't seen or heard anything about this game before checking out the demo. What are my thoughts? Consider me impressed.

You play as Maxine Caulfield, a photography student who finds out she has a very unique ability to Stop, and rewind time, at her will. If you are familiar with the film Butterfly effect you kind of get the idea. Now the demo doesn't really give you much to do. When I first loaded the game up I wasn't really impressed with the visuals. I felt that the rain sequence made the characters look like plastic toys. However my opinion changed. The characters and backgrounds have a nice mix of water-color and realistic look to them. 
So similar to most graphic adventure games you can interact with different objects, as well as different people. I want to keep this writing as spoiler free as possible, but if you are interested check out my gameplay of the full demo. The game is episodic and from the look of it, everything you do will have an impact moving forward with the story. Sadly the demo doesn't really show this off, but the game demo does leave you on a pretty big cliff hangar that will entice you to check out the full game, something that I plan on doing and will have a full review for episode one sometime in the future. The game has a very dark mysterious vibe to it. I really liked that the game let's you manipulate time. If you give a wrong answer simply rewind until you can move forward. I also felt at least with the demo that the game reminded me of the film Groundhog day (one of my all time favorite movies) as once you go through the bathroom scene the game makes you feel like it was all a dream. You soon discover that everything is real. 
The game is currently available on PC, PlayStation 4, PS3, Xbox One, and 360. The first episode will set you back $4.99. For this write up I played the PS4 version, I found no bugs, or issues. If you enjoy the Telltale games, you will find a lot to enjoy. I feel like this game will actually open up a bit more and let you have a more open-ended choices instead of choose to do "A" or "B" that the Telltale games tend to do. Life is Strange looks to be something special. For now it's wait and see. 
This may not be a game for everyone but I strongly recommend checking out the demo and have a go. Worst case you spend 20 minutes of your time on a demo that didn't click for you. I am very impressed with what I played so far, and can't wait to see where this story goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts