YouTube Live Stream

Friday, January 23, 2015

Rollers of the Realm Review

Rollers of the Realm last stage (no spoilers)

Rollers of the Realm Review:

Rollers of the Realm isn't your typical pinball game, and I love it! Developer Phantom Compass took the best aspects of pinball, and combined them with mechanics of roll-playing games. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well this works. The game features a total of ten characters all represented by pinball's. 
The gameplay in Rollers of the Realm is excellent each of the ten characters you get to play as has their own set of special abilities, and control different from one another. My go to characters in the game were the Hunter, who has the ability to shoot arrows, as well has the ability to summon a group of hawks that act like a multiball. The Knight who is slow, but attacks are the strongest, his special ability is to block the gutter preventing you from losing your ball. The Healer was my go to character, her attacks are week but she has the ability to heal, which will come in very handy, and her special ability is to revive any of your fallen characters. I loved the diversity of the characters, also liked the fact that you can find power ups in the game to enhance your  abilities. 
The game has over 30 levels and each one has different objectives some will be as simple as defeat all the enemies, collect treasure chests, even  boss fights. The game has a fair challenge, only the odd time I found myself stuck on a stage, with the exception of the burial ground level, It probably took me over 30 attempts to complete it. I'm not going to knock the game for it because it is one of the last few levels in the game. 
Visually Rollers of the Realm has excellent art work, and the stages are varied enough to not get bored. The voice acting is excellent. I didn't find myself caring about the story all that much,  but the gameplay was what really made me keep coming back. The Story starts you off as the Rogue, who ends up getting her dog taken away by some guards. Initially your goal is to get your dog back but this quickly escellates to much bigger quest to save the realm from evil dark forces. Rollers of the Realm also features a 5 level tournament mode where you can try your best to post a high score on the online leaderboards. 
Rollers of the Realm is one innovative twist, mixing the best of roll-playing games and pinball games. I reviewed the game on the PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation Vita, The game is also available on Steam. I preferred playing the game on the Vita. Rollers of the Realm is cross-buy, and cross-save. I am so happy I decided to check this game out. I was instantly hooked to the gameplay. Fan's of RPG's, and Pinball should take note of this game. I encourage everyone to at very least try the demo of the game out. I did and wanted more!I can see myself going back to this game time and again. Phantom Compass did excellent work here.

GET IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts